calories in cooked rice pin

T oday's diet Q&A comes from reader Cerise: How many calories in cooked rice?

I recently got this question in my inbox, which is a question I enquire google all the time. How many calories are there in a loving cup of cooked rice? So, I figured I'd get down to the answer in one case and for all!

The quick calories estimate

  • 1/2 cup of cooked rice = 106 calories
  • one cup of cooked rice = 212 calories

I arrived with these numbers based on cooking my rice and measuring information technology first raw:

  • 1 cup dry, raw white jasmine rice (200g) = 640 calories (according to the label)
  • After cooked according to package directions with 1 1/2 cup water, information technology made three cups cooked that weighed 515 grams = and must also total 640 calories

Therefore, when made with 1.v times rice to water, and portioned into 1/3 and 1/2 cups, which is the mode I would ordinarily swallow it, the calories for the cooked rice would:

  • 1/3 cup cooked = 71 calories and near fifteen grams of carbs, with zero fatty.
  • i/2 loving cup cooked = 106 calories and about 22 grams of carbs, with zero fat.

But read on for the exceptions!

how many calories in rice cooked and dry

The problem with answering this calorie question is when y'all are using a tracking tool similar MyFitnessPal, yous get a multifariousness of answers. And so, which MyFitnessPal listing is authentic? I mean, wait at my screenshot below to run into how confusing it could be.

calories in cooked rice from myfitnesspal

So, in lodge to notice out for myself, I weighed my rice before and after cooking to get the near accurate calorie count for cooked rice.

The discrepenies in calorie counts for rice are usually because:

  • A various amounts of water is used to cook the rice
  • A diverse amount of grains are used
  • Cooking times vary, causing a different yield in volume.
  • and measurements are sometimes in grams, sometimes by volume.

I saw this first hand when I inverse the amount of h2o I used to cook rice from one.5 times water to rice ratio, to 2 times water to rice ratio.

When I used 2 X water to rice ratio, the aforementioned 1 cup of raw, dry out white Jasmine rice fabricated 3 1/2 cups cooked rice, rather than 3. So, y'all can potentially eat a bigger bowl of rice, for the same corporeality of calories by increasing the water you cook it in. I do this with oatmeal all the time! (see my high book oatmeal here)

Is Brown Rice Healthier?

If y'all are looking at calories and macros lonely, there isn't a huge difference between brown rice and white. There is a 2 grams more cobweb in i/4 cup of raw brown rice, as well as some Iron and potassium. Otherwise, they are pretty similar.

Many people enquire why my meal plans all have white rice on them. (get my meal plans here). The simple reason is, I recall it tastes better, and the nutrient difference isn't big enough for me to change my preferences. Also, my family prefers white rice, and I don't like preparing different meals for the family unit.

Lastly, I actually similar the thought that white rice might blot more speedily than chocolate-brown. If I'm going on a run or a workout, quick acting carbs give me more energy, and rice is so gentle on the tum, it's a dandy pre-workout nutrient.

calories and macros white rice vs brown
Calories and macros for brown rice vs white rice

Tin you swallow rice and withal lose weight?

YES! I ate rice the unabridged time I was losing weight, and got lean plenty to get on stage in a bikini! Y'all'll find almost all physique athletes not just proceed carbs like rice in their diet while they are losing, just information technology'south essential for them to perform in the gym and build muscle.

Don't hesitate to keep rice in your diet during weight loss. Knowing the calories and macros and keeping your portions in bank check is the nearly important thing.

Do you have whatsoever questions about calorie counting? HMU! I'd dear to answer them!

Pin this postal service for later!

calories in cooked rice pin